The Town of Westwood seeks qualified applicants for the full-time position of Sanitarian/Food Inspector. The Sanitarian/Food Inspector performs inspection and administrative work related to the interpretation and enforcement of public health, sanitation, and environmental laws, rules, and regulations.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Conducts public health inspections under the provisions of the state sanitary and environmental codes and local regulations; provides assistance to residents in health-related fields and assists the Health Director, as needed;
• Carries out inspections and re-inspections of all new and existing food service establishments, including restaurants, retail stores, caterers, cafeterias, residential kitchens, schools, churches, fairs, carnivals, mobile food trucks and carts, and temporary food establishments, including inspections of food vendors at occasional special events outside of normal working hours, such as the annual Westwood Day.
• Ensures compliance with all local, state, and federal codes, regulations, laws, and by-laws pertaining to said inspections.
• Reviews plan proposals relating to new food service establishments; prepares relevant reports, inspection-related correspondence and office work associated with the position;
• Conducts investigation of all food-borne illness complaints and follow-up regarding food recalls, embargo and destruction; responds to food complaints as directed;
• Assists the Health Director in performing all other inspections, including inspections of pools, camps, private wells, and septic systems; and housing inspections, as needed;
• Assists the Health Director and the Board of Health in maintaining up-to-date regulations; co-conducts training programs with the Health Director for the Westwood food service establishment operators;
• Works in collaboration with the Health Director in performing health education programs for residents, and in organizing and running the annual flu clinic and annual rabies clinic;
• Attends Board of Health meetings, when requested, as a representative of the Health Department;
• Attends educational meetings, seminars and training programs necessary to remain current with new regulations and policies; participates in professional organizations.
For more information or to apply, click here.