The City of Lawrence is hiring a food inspector who will perform the following tasks:
- Inspects all food establishments, including food stores, restaurants, markets, bakeries, etc. in order to ascertain compliance with the State Sanitary Code, Article X and any specific laws and regulations pertaining to food and food establishments. Collects samples and arranges for analysis, seizes and condemns unfit food. Investigates complaints. May issue licenses and permits.
- Under general supervision of the Director of Inspectional Services, inspect establishments engaged in the manufacturing, handling, processing, storage, distribution and/or sale of food and food products for compliance with laws, rules, regulations, and establish standards relative to grading, labeling, etc.
- Inspect food and food products for compliance with governing laws, rules, regulations and establish standards; take appropriate action for substances found sub-standard, contaminated or otherwise unacceptable for consumption, including exercising embargo powers over products suspected of being adulterated or misbranded or overseeing the voluntary surrender or destruction of such products.
- Obtain samples of foods and food products for laboratory analysis to determine variances between analysis and product specifications using prescribed data and testing devices.
- Obtain evidence and establish facts concerning suspected or alleged violations of laws governing foods and food products through interviews and observations to determine appropriate action such as issuing citations or violation notices, recommending prosecution or other appropriate action.
- Inspect salvage operations for food and beverages, which are infected due to floods, fire, or transportation disasters.
- Conduct special investigations related to food-borne illness outbreaks and consumer complaints.
- Prepare reports concerning inspections and related activities to provide information and make appropriate recommendations.
- Testify at Board of Health hearings relative to the violations of laws pertaining to foods and food products.
- Review and issue applications for new or renewed licenses, subject to final approval of the Board of Health.
- Maintain knowledge of current relevant codes, ordinances, and regulations through independent study and attendance at meetings and seminars.
- Respond to questions and concerns from owners, operators, and the general public regarding license and code enforcement issues.
For more information or to apply, click here.